On July 18th we’ll be hosting a team event – a Dart Populaire. This is a ride of 120 Km that must be completed in 8 hours. Briefly, the rules are as follows:
- Teams consisting of minimum of 3 and no more than 5 riders.
- Minimum distance of 120 Km.
- A minimum of 25 Km must be ridden in the last 2 hours. This must be verified by a timed and dated receipt.
- Three team members must finish together in order to receive credit for the ride.
- Any team members not finishing with the rest of the team will not receive credit for the ride.
The complete rules can be found here.
Note that the Dart Populaire counts as a team event for a RUSA cup!
Here’s the plan for the day:
- Assuming there will be a lot of solo riders who are interested in doing this ride, we’ll form teams on the day of the ride. The main ground rule is: everybody rides! So don’t worry if you don’t have a team – come anyway! We’ll form or reform teams as necessary to make sure that everybody rides!
- Although for longer events e.g., a flèche, it’s customary for riders to form their own teams and develop their own route for this event we’re assuming that most people will be unattached and won’t want to do their own route design. Accordingly, we’ve developed two routes that meet the rules criteria.
Note that the two routes are within .1 of a mile of each other for distance with the Boaz route having about 1,000 feet more climbing.
- If you want to try your hand at route design you are free to do so but your route must be submitted to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than July 4th. I reserve the right to approve/disapprove the route based on the route criteria outlined in the above RUSA link.
- The rules stipulate that different teams cannot ride together so if we have more than two teams we’ll do a staggered start on each route with the second team(s) starting one hour after the first.
It sounds more complicated than it is – the absolutely most important thing is we’ll ride in small groups and HAVE FUN!
And on that note, after the ride the Driftless Randonneurs will be hosting a Texas style bbq. The preliminary menu includes smoked brisket, chicken, & sausage with all the trimmings. We’ll have iced tea and soft drinks. You may bring your own adult beverage of choice and an appetite and we’ll supply everything else. Note that in order to avoid being overrun by hordes of hungry cyclists we’re limiting attendance to the first 20 riders and you must sign up in advance by sending an email to email@example.com.
The cost for this ride is $5 per person. The bbq and the fun is free!